In accordance with NJAC 6A: 27-1.2, Aide in Lieu Transportation is a repayment given to parents for transporting their child/children to and from a non-public or non-profit school outside of Newark.
To be eligible for aid in lieu of transportation, non- public school students must:
- Reside in a district which provides transportation to and from school for remote public school students.
EXCEPTION: Nonpublic school transportation services are not required when the only transportation provided by the local board of education is for students attending special education, vocational/technical, or other specialized programs.
- Reside remote from their school of attendance. The words, “remote from the schoolhouse” shall mean beyond two and one-half (2 ½) miles for high school students and beyond two (2) miles for elementary students, except for handicapped students. (NJAC 6A:27-1.2)
- Attend a private school located in New Jersey twenty (20) miles or less from their residence.
- Attend a nonprofit private school.
- Meet the age requirement of their resident district and be enrolled in grades kindergarten through 12.