Brenda C. Liss
765 Broad Street
Newark, NJ 07102
The Office of the General Counsel represents and protects the legal interests of The Newark Public Schools. It provides legal guidance and representation to the District, its staff and its Advisory Board on a broad range of legal issues involving the District, its policies and programs, employees and students.
Among its primary responsibilities, the Office of the General Counsel:
- represents the District in litigation, particularly litigation arising under the school laws, related special education laws, and public employment statutes and regulations;
- supervises all litigation involving the District that is assigned to outside law firms under contract with the District;
- prepares and/or reviews District contracts, including their compliance with the public procurement process of the Public School Contracts Law; and
- provides general legal advice to the District Administration and Advisory Board.
The Office of the General Counsel is also responsible for responding to requests for public records pursuant to the Open Public Records Act.
General Counsel Staff
- Arsen Zartarian, Deputy General Counsel
- Bernard Mercado, Sr. Associate Counsel
- Alexander D’Jamoos, Associate Deputy General Counsel
- Sabrina Styza, Associate Counsel