About Our School
Dear Speedway Avenue School Families,
It is with great pride and excitement that I write this letter to you as the newly appointed Principal of Speedway Avenue School. I am honored to have the opportunity to lead a school with such a rich tradition of education and culture! I look forward to this position with great optimism and a strong sense of humbleness- for the importance of the work we all do everyday serving our students, and for the hard work and dedication it takes to achieve the high expectations we all know are possible. It is also with great enthusiasm that I introduce our new Vice Principal, Ms. Meghan Yergan to the Speedway Community.
As we prepare to welcome our students back to 100% in person learning, we must continue to follow CDC guidelines. Attached is the District’s Safe Return Plan which outlines the re-entry expectations for students this Fall. Our updated student/parent handbook, which includes our complete reentry plan and guidelines, will be available by August 27, 2021.
Please note the following important health and safety guidelines as they relate to our reopening:
- ALL students will attend in person instruction. There is no remote or hybrid option.
- All students, faculty, and staff must wear face masks at all times, with exceptions in extremely limited circumstances.
- All students will complete the 4-step ingress procedure each morning: (1) symptom screening via the Activity Scheduler App, (2) temperature check, (3) hand sanitizer, and (4) shoe sanitizer
- Sanitizing kits will be available in each classroom, as well as sneeze guards on each desk.
- Students will transition to related arts and departmentalized classrooms. Social distanced seating will be prioritized.
- Our school hours return to normal and will be from 8:25am - 2:55pm.
- School water fountains will be turned off. Students are encouraged to bring a personal water bottle.
- Breakfast and lunch will continue with students receiving individual bags. Lunch will resume in the cafeteria.
- External visitors are not allowed entry into the school building.
With the above safety measure in place, we are excited to remind you that the first day of school is Tuesday September 7th! Here are some important dates and reminders to keep you informed leading up to the first day of school:
- Welcome Back BBQ & FREE Giveaway - Saturday August 21st, 12:00 - 3:00 p.m.
As a new administration team, in collaboration with The Bridge Movement Global, we welcome all families to attend the Welcome Back BBQ and pick up a free backpack, supplies, sneakers, clothes, and more. The supplies will be given on a first-come, first-serve basis and all students must be accompanied by an adult. This will be a great opportunity to welcome new and returning staff.
- Our school uniform and attendance policies are in effect. As a reminder, students wear burgundy tops and gray bottoms.
- Save the date for our annual Back to School Night scheduled for Wednesday, September 15th from 6:00 - 8:00pm. Please note that our Back to School Night will be held virtually.
- Please complete your Lunch Application and SchoolMint Enrollment or Re-Enrollment before the first day of school. List of student supplies will be sent by homeroom teachers prior to the start of school.
For important updates and information, we ask that you regularly visit our school’s website by visiting https://www.nps.k12.nj.us/SPD/, and follow our social media accounts on Facebook (Speedway Academies), Instagram (NPS_Speedway) and Twitter (NPS_Speedway).
In closing, there is no doubt that Speedway Avenue School is poised for unprecedented success. The unique talents of our school community are unmatched, and there is no challenge that we cannot overcome together. We look forward to working together in the 2021-2022 school year!
Ashley Jiles, Principal