Allied Health Science Academy Student Interest Survey
The Office of Admissions at Weequahic High School is committed to recruiting highly motivated young adults from all neighborhoods in Newark. Our mission is to provide a safe environment in order to ensure that all students graduate ready for college and/or career pathways equipped with the academic, social and critical thinking skills necessary for success in the 21st Century. The core beliefs we hold are knowing that every student can achieve in a safe, pleasant and nurturing learning environment that fosters high expectations where students develop self-esteem and self-advocacy skills.
Weequahic High School is home to the Allied Health Services Academy The goal of the program is to provide preparation for multiple health careers through a curriculum emphasizing science, human and organizational elements of health care, with the opportunity to earn college credit and career oriented clinical experiences. The program was developed by the University of Medicine and Dentistry (UMDNJ). Students who successfully complete the UMDNJ course of study will have the opportunity to earn up to 22 college credits!
Through specific courses of study, students will also have the opportunity to earn one of the industry certifications listed below:
- Certified Home Health Aide
- Certified Clinical Medical Assistant
- EKG/Telemetry Technician
- Phlebotomy Technician.
- Physical Therapy Aide Certificate Program
- Medical Insurance Billing Specialist
- CPR /First Aid/Basic Life Support/EMT-B
Part I - Completion of Newark Enrolls Application (25%)
The following information is captured when you complete the Newark Enrolls application using this link: https://newarkenrolls.org/
- Admissions Test: Test date for NBOE and non-NBOE students can be found on the Newark Enrolls Website: https://newarkenrolls.org/timeline/
- Student Attendance
- Overall School Grades with a focus on STEM Grades in Science and Mathematics
- Grade Point Average (GPA) - 80% (GPA 3.2) or above is preferred
- High School Entrance Exam Results
- Teacher Recommendation
- Student Interview
- Writing Prompts
VERY IMPORTANT INFORMATION
You will be interviewed by the Principal and Recruitment team via Webex once your application is completed. You will also complete an open-ended essay response or slides presentation. All components of the application must be completed.
Part II: Interview Questions (75%)
- How do you think the Allied Health Services Academy will help you prepare for college, career and life?
- In what ways do Allied Health Services impact your life?
- Explain what you think are the biggest positive impacts of Allied Health Services and what are the biggest health challenges on society?
- When you have free time, what are some of your favorite things to do and what are some of your favorite platforms or websites and why?
- Describe what was the most enjoyable project you have done (in or out of school) and why you enjoyed it.
- How can you make a positive impact on your community with a career in Allied Health Services?
Essay Response or Slides Presentation:
- Please share, what is your pathway of interest in Allied Health Services?
- Please write a three paragraph essay or create a presentation of 8 slides (1 intro, 6 of content, 1 closure).
How to submit your responses to the interview & essay questions?
You will be contacted by the Recruitment & Enrollment Team to schedule the interview portion after your application has been processed.
To complete the Essay/Slides presentation response, please complete the Weequahic High School - Allied Health Services Academy Recruitment & Enrollment Interest Form below.
(Click the button if you would like to receive a copy of your submission.)
Please be reminded that all steps in the admissions process must be completed.