The Hospitality & Tourism Academy provides students the opportunity to explore the various components of the hospitality and tourism industry, including hotel and restaurant management, cruise ships, spas, resorts, and theme parks. Students learn about key hospitality issues, the development and management of tourist locations, event planning, marketing, and environmental issues related to travel and leisure. The academy also examines current and future trends in the industry.
Pathways & Experiences
Hospitality & Tourism Academy
- Learn the various hospitality functions while focusing on customer service and essential leadership qualities.
- Learn about hotel and lodging accommodations, food, beverage with restaurant management, event planning and entertainment, and operations management.
- Explore travel agency management, tour arranging and planning, convention and event planning, travel industry operations and procedures, tourism marketing and promotion strategies, travel counseling, travel industry law, international and domestic operations, and travel and tourism policies.
Hospitality & Tourism I
- Introduction to Hospitality and Tourism
- Travel and Tourism
- Food and Beverage, Restaurant Management
- Lodging and Accommodations
- Event Planning and Entertainment
Hospitality & Tourism II
- Introduction to the Hospitality and Tourism Program, American Hotel and Lodging Educational Institute
- Hospitality Soft Skills and Guest Experience
- Hospitality and Tourism Operational Areas
- Sales and Marketing, Safety and Security
Hospitality & Tourism III
- Introduction to Leadership and Management
- Hospitality Leadership Skills and Operational Leadership
- Managing Food and Beverage Operations and Managing Business Operations
- Sales and Marketing and Safety and Security
Hospitality & Tourism IV
- Nutrition, Sanitation and Food Safety
- Exploration of Food and Beverage Senses
- Dining Service and Etiquette
- Heads and Beds
- Travel and Tourism
|Opportunities for College Credit, Credentials, & Certifications:||Three credits from Hudson County Community College, ServSafe Food and Beverage Certification, Certified Guest Service Professional, Certified Front Desk Representative, Certified Hospitality & Tourism Professional, ServSafe Manager Certification|
|Potential Job Opportunities:||Food and Beverage Director, Banquet and Conference Manager, Hotel and Resort Manager, Travel Agent, Tour Operator, Restaurant Manager, Spa and Wellness Manager, Wedding and special events coordinator|
|Work Based Learning:||Guest Speakers, Volunteer Opportunities, Field Trips, Mentoring, Employability Mock Interviews, Job Shadowing, Internships, Externships|
Required Essay Questions:
- Why do you think you’re a good candidate for the Hospitality & Tourism Academy?
- What makes you stand out from other students applying to Newark Vocational High School?
- What experience inspired your interest in the world of Hospitality & Tourism? (Did you go on vacation? Did you take cruise? Did you stay at a hotel where they pampered you? Did you a have a wonderful restaurant experience?)
- Which 2 Hospitality & Tourism positions are you interested in? Hospitality & Tourism creates diversified employment opportunities in different sectors like (1) accommodation, (2) food, beverage establishments, (3) transportation services, (4) travel agencies, (5) tour operation companies, (6) natural and cultural attractions sites. Hospitality & Tourism can generate jobs directly through airports, cruises, hotels, hotel management, restaurants, beach resorts, travel agencies, buses, taxis, souvenir sales and vacation packages.
- Which area would you like to specialize? Hospitality and Tourism includes attractions management, convention planning, customer service, event planning, food service, gaming, lodging, marketing, sales and travel. Working in tourism and hospitality management could land you a job almost anywhere in the world.
- Why is it important for someone in the Hospitality & Tourism business to speak eloquently and to have patience?