The Culinary Arts Academy provides students the opportunity to immerse themselves in the realm of food preparation and creation by developing the essential knowledge and skills needed in the Food Service/Hospitality Industry.
Pathways & Experiences
Culinary Arts Academy
- Study food safety and sanitation.
- Learn workplace and employability skills for career readiness.
- Learn to use professional kitchen equipment and small ware to prepare and cook various dishes.
- Learn professional knife skills.
- Learn the fundamental skills associated with baking, cake decoration, and preparation of creams, custards, and mousses.
- Learn Garde Manger, menu planning, and, “front of the house” operations that includes table service in our state-of-the-art culinary suite and student-led restaurant.
Culinary Arts I
- Food Safety and Sanitation Principals
- Professionalism and Safety
- Introduction to the Kitchen
- salads and Dressings
- Hot and Cold Sandwiches
- Breakfast Cookery
Culinary Arts II
- Fruits and Vegetables
- Herbs and Spices
- Stocks, Sauces, and Soups
- Potatoes, Legumes, Grains and Pastas
- Meats, Poultry and Seafood
Culinary Arts III
- The Baking Profession
- Basic Professional Skills
- Baking and Pastry Equipment
- Basic Baking Principals and Quick Breads
- Understanding Yeast Dough: Lean Yeast and Rich Yeast Dough
- Desserts and Dessert Presentation
|Opportunities for College Credit, Credentials, & Certifications:||Up to 9 credits from Hudson County Community College, ServSafe Food Handlers Certification, ServSafe Manager Certification|
|Potential Job Opportunities:||Executive Chef, Chef de Cuisine, Sous Chef, Head Cook, Garde Manger Cook, Line Cook, Food Preparation Worker, Banquet Cook/Chef, Pastry Chef, Baker, Private Chef/Personal Chef, Food and Beverage Manager, Food and Beverage Server|
|Work Based Learning:||Guest Speakers, Volunteer Opportunities, Field Trips, Mentoring, Employability Mock Interviews, Job Shadowing, Internships, Externships, School Based Enterprises|
Required Essay Questions:
- Why do you think you’re a good candidate for the Culinary Arts Academy?
- What makes you stand out from other students applying to Newark Vocational High School?
- Why do you want to become a Chef?
- What are 4 qualities of a Chef?
- What are some interesting facts about being a Chef?
- What are the 3 skills of a competent chef?
- How does being a chef contribute to society?