The Graphic Design Academy provides students with the fundamental skills and information needed to structure and creatively organize complex visual communication in both traditional and digital environments. Students will be able to effectively communicate verbal and visual ideas through creativity, conceptual development, effective organization of information, and the use of form, color and design.
Pathways & Experiences
Graphic Design & Print Academy
- Explore the Principles and Elements of Design, learn the history of Graphic Design, to create symbols/logo branding development, use color theory and typography creatively and effectively.
- Employ critical thinking, aesthetic/design judgment and become skilled with the tools in the Print Shop. Students will learn to operate the latest printing equipment from Xerox, Ricoh, Hewlett Packard and Canon.
- Participate in a real work environment, in the Print Shop to learn career ready skills needed for success.
- Develop techniques necessary to create and produce professional designs and illustrations to be used in the advertising and digital art fields.
Graphic Design and Print Academy I
- Introduction to Graphic Design
- Fundamentals of Graphic Arts/Design
- Adobe Creative Cloud Foundation
- Print Technology Foundations
Graphic Design and Print Academy II
- Knowledge of Illustrator
- Typography, history of Type, Type Self Portrait
- Illustration, Digital Drawing
- Logo Development, Corporate Logo
- Visual Branding, Package Design, Album Video Cover
Graphic Design and Print Academy III
- Poster Design, Abstract Typography, Color Theory
- Advertising Campaign
- Book Jackets/ Book Series
- Web Design
- Concept of Print
|Opportunities for College Credit, Credentials, & Certifications:||Adobe Certified Associate (ACA), Print Education Certification|
|Potential Job Opportunities:||Graphic designer, Creative director, User experience (UX) designer, User interface (UI) designer, Production artist, Product developer, Art director, Marketing specialist, Freelancer, Multimedia artist or animator|
|Work Based Learning:||Guest Speakers, Volunteer Opportunities, Field Trips, Mentoring, Employability Mock Interviews, Job Shadowing, Internships, Externships|
Required Essay Questions:
- Why do you think you’re a good candidate for the Graphic Arts & Print Academy?
- What makes you stand out from other students applying to Newark Vocational High School?
- Please give a brief description of why you would like to join our Graphic Arts and Print Academy.
- What past experiences have made you interested in a pursuing career in Graphic Arts and Design?
- What skills do you believe are required to be a Graphic Art designer?
- What are the 3 skills of a competent Graphic Artist?
- How does being a Graphic Artist contribute to society?