Dr. Sharnee Brown
Welcome CHS stakeholders to the 2020-2021 school year at Central High School! I hope and pray this letter finds you and your family in good health. I want to thank you for choosing to educate your child at Central. I am appreciative of the wonderful collaboration and diligence all stakeholders have done in supporting the success of our students. Last year, we worked together and got through a crisis. This global pandemic has forced us to think and operate differently, creatively and communicate in new ways. Most of all, it has brought all of us closer as a school community. I am so proud of the collaboration, hard work, and dedication that has been exhibited by all of you last year, and I anticipate even greater gains this year.
On behalf of the staff, we are extremely excited to begin the process of restoring stability for our students. I know together we will ensure both remote and in-person learning models for the children yield high quality instruction and promote success for all students. Our staff is looking forward to a year filled with a variety of learning experiences and new beginnings. In order to protect the health and safety of all stakeholders and to promote maximum success, we need your support now more than ever to ensure the CDC, NJ state and Newark district guidelines are followed as we designed the school reopening plans. Visit this link to see NBOE Reopening plans: https://www.nps.k12.nj.us/mdocs-psots/newarks-reopening-plan-2020-2021
Please read the following information carefully:
- The first day of school is Tuesday, September 8, 2020 (more information regarding procedures for this day is forthcoming). We need 100% attendance this year. Last year, CHS reached 92.8%. Your children must be present the first day of school!!
- Learning will take place in two formats: Remotely or Onsite:
- Remote learning: These students will be selected through school recommendation or by parent selection. If you would like to opt for remote-only instruction, you must complete the consent form entitled Full-Time Remote Instruction Consent Form on School Mint/Newark Enrolls website--https://newarkenrolls.schoolmint.net/signin). This must be submitted by August 14th for remote learning only.
- In-person Onsite learning: There will be a maximum of 10 students per classroom. In order to adhere to state and district guidelines regarding class sizes, the number of days per week, students will attend in-person learning will be determined based on the total number of parents requesting this option. Below are some important protocols and information for in-Person Onsite Learning. Also, our updated student handbook, which includes our complete re-entry plan and guidelines, will be available by August 24, 2020.
- Lunch Applications. The online lunch application system is available. Please begin completing the lunch application for the 2020-21 SY now.
- Note: All parents/guardians MUST complete a lunch application for his/her child. This applies to all parents, including those who will be sending lunch from home and those who have opted for virtual learning.
- Summer Reading – Every Central High School students must read every day! The summer reading is due the first day of school. Below is a list of codes for the Google Classrooms that have been set up to assist with the summer reading. Experience games, videos, audio readings and logs that are necessary to complete the summer reading. I even read my favorite excerpts from each book and discussed some themes.
9th - The Poet X by Elizabeth Acevedo Google Classroom code: erpfqak
10th - Dear Martin by Nic Stone Google Classroom code: gokoxvd
11th - Solo by Kwame Alexander Google Classroom code: 3svwcdm
12th - Interment by Samira Ahmed Google Classroom code: ziwiupq
- Pick Up Chromebooks Dates & Times
Freshmen (Chromebooks & ID pictures by last names) 9am - 12pm
August 17th (A-F) August 18th (G-J) August 19th (K-O) August 20th (P-Z)All other grades (Only students who need Chromebooks) August 21st 9am - 12pm
- CHS Virtual Town Hall: Since information is changing rapidly, we will schedule a virtual Q & A session for parents in the coming weeks. During this CHS Virtual Town Hall, you will be able to get clarity on how this year will look. We want to ensure you are fully informed on the reopening process, and your needs are being met. Please continue to check our school website (https://www.nps.k12.nj.us/CTL/ and school’s Facebook Account: Central High School Newark Campus for more information as we will be updating them regularly. I will also communicate via Blackboard Robo Calls. If you need to update your phone number, please visit our website and update your contact information (email, telephone number, and address) on School Mint/Newark Enrolls website - https://newarkenrolls.schoolmint.net/signin)
- Orientation Week is August 24, 2020 through August 28, 2020. We will have a virtual orientation (WebEx address: https://nboe.webex.com/meet/s2brown Call in # 1-646-992-2010). All of your documents every parent needs to sign is in on School Mint/Newark Enrolls website--https://newarkenrolls.schoolmint.net/signin)
- 12th grade – August 24, 2020
- 11th grade- August 25, 2020
- 10th grade - August 26, 2020
- 9th grade – August 27, 2020
- Back to School Night will be conducted virtually this year. It will take place on Thursday, September 24th from 6pm – 8pm. This is your opportunity to meet your child’s teachers (virtually), and to learn what their academic curriculum and goals will be for the school year. More information on how this will be carried out is forthcoming.
- Face Covering and Uniforms are mandatory: All students reporting to the school building and conducting in-person learning are required to wear a face covering at all times, and students must be in uniform every day. Uniform code is as follows: Wearing a face mask is REQUIRED for everyone while on school or district grounds.
Shirts/Blouses: White or blue polo shirts or oxford shirts
Pants: Khaki, gray or blue uniform pants only
Shoes: Clogs, flip-flops or slippers are NOT permitted. Clear CHS bookbags
- Parents/Visitors will NOT be permitted to enter the school building until further notice. In the event that a parent/guardian needs to pick up a student or another request, we ask that you contact the school ahead of time so that we can facilitate getting the student or item to the door, where a staff member will greet you and have you sign out the student at the door. Parents/guardians must also bring a valid ID in order to pick up their child.
- Everyone reporting to the school building and school grounds (this includes student drop off and pick up) is required to wear face covering and follow CDC guidelines for social distancing, 6 ft. apart, at all times to protect the safety of everyone. Signage will be displayed around the school to direct the flow of traffic.
If you have any questions for registration, concerns, or need assistance with SchoolMint, our school clerks are available Monday through Friday from 8:30am - 3:00pm via phone 973-733-6899 or 973-733-6897 or 973-733-8379.
“We are all in this together!”
"Cultivating Energetic Naturally Talented Responsible Altruistic Leaders"