A literacy-based education involves multiple on-going opportunities for reading, writing, and thinking in an environment responsive to individual needs and abilities. Such an environment is committed to providing opportunities for:
- Student choice and support in exploration of individual and group interests.
- Constructive and specific feedback that encourages, challenges, and fosters the reading, writing, and thinking processes.
- Time for respectful dialogue with others, reflection, and revision.
- Access to a wide variety of literature.
- Publication and sharing of writing.
- Developing twenty-first century skills.