Malcolm X Shabazz High School, located in the south ward of Newark, New Jersey, is one of six comprehensive high schools. Built in 1912, the school was originally constructed as Southside High School and Newark Junior College. The school’s name was changed to Malcolm X Shabazz in 1971 because the students at that time felt they needed a role model image that truly represented their community.
As the community grew, there was a need to expand our school. As a result, an addition was constructed in 1976, and the building remained unchanged until 2004 when the gymnasium was totally renovated. However, in 2001, a new athletic field( the first in the District in over thirty years) was constructed which features a baseball field, a football field, a field house, a concession stand, athletic locker rooms and tennis courts.
Over the past decade, there has been a resurgence of newer homes and housing developments in the community.
New building addition & renovated Gymnasium
Conceptual design of gymnasium entrance.