Malcolm X Shabazz High School is a four-year comprehensive public high school. Built in 1912, the school was originally constructed as Southside High School and Newark Junior College. The school was renamed in 1972 in memory of Malcolm X Shabazz.
As the community grew, there was a need to expand our school. As a result, an addition was constructed in 1976, and the building remained unchanged until 2004 when the gymnasium was totally renovated.
However in 2001, a new athletic field( the first in the District in over thirty years) was constructed which features a baseball field, a football field, a field house, a concession stand, athletic locker rooms and tennis courts.