Ms. Sjocquelyn Winstead
If you have any questions, please contact the Athletic Director, Sjocquelyn Winstead.
Athletic Vision Statement
The vision of the West Side High School Athletic Department is to merge (academics and athletics) to develop the "whole person," and ensure that student-athletes foster a WINing (Work ethic, Innovative thinking, Never giving up) mentality that sufficiently prepares them to lead as well-educated, positive and productive citizens.
Academic Eligibility (as per NJSIAA)
- Seniors, Sophomores, Juniors: STUDENTS MUST HAVE PASSED TWENTY-SEVEN AND ONE-HALF (27.5) CREDITS FROM THE PREVIOUS YEAR TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR PARTICIPATION IN FALL OR WINTER SPORTS.To be eligible for SPRING SPORTS and maintain eligibility for continued extracurricular participation, all students in grades 9, 10, 11 and 12 must have earned 13.75 credits by the end of the first semester, along with a minimum previous semester Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.0.
- Freshmen: There is no credit requirement for INCOMING FRESHMEN for participation in FALL SPORTS. For eligibility in WINTER and SPRING sports, a freshmen student must have maintained passing grades in courses for the first semester, with a minimum Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.0.
AS PER NEWARK BOARD OF EDUCATION POLICY CODE 6145
Effective FEBRUARY, 2010, only students on track to graduate with GPA’s of 2.0 and above will be eligible to participate on an athletic team. All student athletes must submit a NPS Athletics “Game Point” Task Force Memorandum of Understanding, signed by their parents prior to participating on an athletic team.
The secondary schools sponsor a wide range of interscholastic sports programs, tournaments and activities for female and male student-athletes with academic and medical eligibility for the varsity, junior varsity and freshmen levels. This provides an opportunity for the highly skilled as well as the lesser skilled student athlete to demonstrate their skills in a competitive arena.
In order to participate in school athletics, the student must conform to the following regulations.
- Successfully meet the requirements of scholastic eligibility as determined by the NJSIAA and Newark Public Schools.
- Have parent/guardian sign "Parent Consent Form" on which the parent must list any physical abnormality or disease the student has or has had.
- Submit to, and successfully pass, a physical examination from a Board licensed physician before the first practice session for that particular sport.