Aug 5, 2021
August 5, 2021
Greetings University High School Phoenix Families,
It is my pleasure to welcome you to a new and exciting academic school year! In addition to the exhilaration and anticipation I have of receiving our scholars back to University High School, I am extremely proud of and thankful for the resilience that you, our Phoenix Families, have demonstrated in rising above the pandemic during the past 16 months. It continues to be my privilege to serve as your Principal for the 2021 - 2022 school year, where together we will further the academic success of our scholars.
While we once again find ourselves faced with the inherent challenges of the COVID-19 Pandemic, we are taking measures to prepare for and mitigate the impact of the pandemic on our learning community. Together we will meet and overcome these challenges to maintain our unwavering commitment to the highest of academic standards while ensuring that every scholar receives the academic, social, and emotional support needed to thrive within and beyond our school.
We continue to closely monitor and be guided by information communicated via the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC), the state of New Jersey, the city of Newark, and the Newark Board of Education. Please review the Newark Board of Education’s guidance delineated in the Safe Return Plan 2021-2022 which can be accessed on the district’s website at: https://www.nps.k12.nj.us/safe-return-plan/safe-return-plan-2021-2022/. Your support in adhering to this guidance will be critical to ensuring a safe and successful transition back to in-person instruction. In the coming weeks we will be communicating additional important procedural information and guidance regarding the Safe Return Plan.
In the interest of safety as well as the optimal health of our learning community, the Newark Health Department, the Essex County Health Department, and Saint James Health have partnered to introduce the Vaccines for Teens initiative, which offers scholars, staff, and community members the opportunity to be vaccinated. Vaccination will be available at University High School on August 18th (initial dosage) and September 8th (second dosage), as well as at various schools and locations in our city. The schedule of dates and locations can be found using the link below.
NBOE Vaccination Schedule
Please note that pre-registration is available for Newark Health Department and Saint James Health clinics using the links provided in the schedule, but walk-in registration is available on site for all locations. For students ages 12-17, parental consent can be given electronically for Newark Health Department and Saint James Health clinics using the links provided, but the parent must be present with the child for Essex County Health Department clinics.
Please read the following information pertaining to the 2021 - 2022 academic school year carefully:
- The first day of school is Tuesday, September 7, 2021 (more information regarding procedures for this day is forthcoming).
- Electronic devices will be made available to all scholars.
- Scholar Success Kits, including supplies needed for your scholar’s success this school year, will be available at the school during Summer Bridge and/or the first week of school.. See flyer for additional information.
- Face Covering and Uniforms are mandatory: Wearing a face mask is REQUIRED for everyone while on school or district grounds and all students reporting to the school building and conducting in-person learning are required to be in uniform every day and wear a face covering at all times. It is also extremely important that no clogs, flip-flops or slippers be worn to school. Please see detailed uniform information enclosed and contact the school if you have any challenges securing any uniform items.
- Summer Bridge is scheduled to occur in person for all 7th, 9th and 10th grade scholars. The dates are as follows. Uniform shirts should be worn with knee length bottoms.
- 7th and 9th grade - August 16-20, 2021
- 10th grade - August 23-27, 2021
- Grade level orientations for grade levels who do not have a summer bridge programs are being hosted in person on the following dates and times:
- Class of 2022 Wednesday, August 25, 2021, 10:00 AM
- Class of 2023 Wednesday, August 25, 2021, 12:00 AM
- Class of 2026 Thursday, August 26, 2021, 10:00 AM
- We will be hosting a virtual parent orientation on Thursday, August 26th at 5:30 pm.
- Please continue to check our school website (https://www.nps.k12.nj.us/uni), Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/UniversityHighSchoolPhoenixForward, and Instagram Account @university high_phoenix for more information as we will be updating this information regularly. We will also be utilizing Robo Calls to communicate pertinent information. If you would like to update your contact number, please visit the School Mint/Newark Enrolls website-https://newarkenrolls.schoolmint.net/signin
- Back to School Night will take place on September 23rd, 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm. This is your opportunity to meet your child’s teachers and to learn what their academic curriculum and goals will be for the school year. More information will be forthcoming.
- The online lunch application system is available. Please complete the lunch application for the 2021-22 SY. https://family.titank12.com/application/new?identifier=7LGSDU Note: It is imperative that ALL parents/guardians complete a lunch application for his/her child. This applies to all parents, including those who will be sending lunch from home and those who have opted for virtual learning.
- Please review the information included with this letter for details on other important information to help prepare for the school year.
Thank you for your continued support and commitment. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact the school at (973) 351-2010.
Mrs. Genique Flournoy-Hamilton, Principal