In the morning when it is raining or snowing students are to enter through the front of the building at 8 AM and go to the following locations:
Grades PreK – 4: The Auditorium
At 8:25 AM Teachers will pick their students up and escort them to the classes.
Grades 5 – 8: The Cafeteria
At 8:25 AM Students will be released to their classes. Teachers will be in the hallway by their respective homeroom classes.
Delayed Opening/Emergency Closing
When there is a delayed opening the following procedures will be followed:
- School will open at 10:00 AM.
- Breakfast will not be served.
- Lunch periods will be 30 minutes long.
- Schools will close at the regularly scheduled dismissal time.
- All school trips and staff development activities will be cancelled. Staff should report to their normal assignments.
- All after school programs and athletic events will be held as scheduled.
- Transported special-needs students and infant/toddler program students should expect buses to arrive between 60 and 90 minutes later than their normally scheduled pick-up time.
- Students transported on shuttle buses between schools and students in the gifted and talented program should expect their buses to depart between 60 and 90 minutes later than their normally scheduled departure times.
Only the Superintendent or his designee may authorize official emergency announcements. Calls should not be made to the school, Central Office or media outlets.
At times hazardous weather conditions or other emergencies may necessitate the closing or delayed opening or schools. News of these closing and delays will be broadcast between 6:00am and 9:00am, on several radio and TV stations in our state. Parents, students and school personnel are advised to listen for those announcements on the following radio and TV stations.
|Television Stations||FM Radio Stations||AM Radio Stations|
New 12 New Jersey
FOX-5 - TV
Univision Channel 41
FMWRKS (KISS) - 98.7
FMWKXW - 101.5 FM
WBLS - 107.5 FM
|WCBS - 880 AM
WINS - 1010 AM
WADO - 1280 (Spanish)
School Lunch & Breakfast Program
Chartwell is the food services vendor at Mount Vernon. They are responsible for preparation and service of the breakfast and lunch meals at the school. In addition, the staff provides meals for the After School Programs and alternative meals, such as, bag lunches for field trips and school excursions.
Using computers in school is different from the way you might use your computer at home. For the protection of all students there are restrictions to Internet use at school.
If you would like your child to use the Internet at school you need to first sign an Acceptance User Policy (AUP) stating that you and your child understand how the computers are to be used in the Newark Public Schools. This form is filed with the Technology Coordinator while the child is a student at Mount Vernon.
Any questions on this policy please contact the Technology Coordinator. Technology AUP Policy