Dear Parents, Guardians and Community Members:
It is with great honor, humility and excitement that I introduce myself, Naseed Gifted, as the new Principal of Malcolm X Shabazz High School.
For the past sixteen years, I have dedicated myself to inspire young people to be science and technology leaders, who excel academically, succeed professionally and positively impact the community and plan to bring that same energy here. Throughout my career I taught every subject at the secondary level (9-12) in Math, Science and Robotics and held various leadership positions at Central High School.
I’ve had the privilege to see thousands of students graduate from high school and hundreds graduate from college. As a instructional leader, I’ve developed systematic approaches to solving complete problems in student attrition, school culture, data and performance metrics while creating a school environment that serves and celebrates the whole child.
When you enter Malcolm X Shabazz you can immediately tell that you’ve found a special place. We’ve carved out a small piece of Newark and made it our home. We’ve offered to this community a sanctuary where we attempt to disrupt toxic schooling practices, the trauma of poverty, and institutionalized oppression. By examining our living conditions, growing our skills in reading, writing, numeracy, and critical thinking, and applying what we’ve learned, we as a community can and will thrive.
Our leadership team and teachers believe that all of our students are scholars and will call them as such. Our mission is to provide each scholar with a rigorous curriculum to ensure college and career readiness, cultivates leadership, upholds a commitment to community. You wonder how a school can exist in such a unique space, it’s because of our Bulldog PRIDE. PRIDE which stands for Perseverance, Resilience, Integrity, Determination and Excellence.
We believe education does not start or end in the classroom. True learning occurs at all times, when you succeed, when you fail, when you make mistakes, and when you accomplish your goals. We believe that as a school we are teaching all the time. Every hallway interaction, home visit, and family meeting communicates who we are, what we value, and why we are here.
Our Core Values
- The future belongs to those who prepare for it today.
- We believe in scholars and their dreams.
- We teach scholars, not just content.
We recognize that teachers teach more than just content, they teach who they are. With this in mind we understand that intentional preparation and culture production in our classrooms leads to increased community satisfaction, buy-in, and academic achievement.
Malcolm X Shabazz High School is distinct in its core features: it provides a Relevant and Rigorous Curriculum within a Collaborative School Culture.
- Relevant and Rigorous Curriculum – Utilizing two main methodologies, Understanding By Design and the Workshop Model, Malcolm X Shabazz scholars are supported in practicing and applying academic skills and knowledge in a manner that:
- Is aligned to state, national, and college and career readiness standards, utilizing standards-based grading
- Allows for equitable, flexible, and individualized support for and engagement of all learners
- Challenges each learner to think critically and creatively
- Offers multiple opportunities to revise, reflect, and incorporate feedback in order to continuously improve their work
- Constructs visible, active, and performance-based demonstrations of growth, learning, and understanding
- Provides explicit modeling to support skill and academic development
- Collaborative School Culture – The Malcolm X Shabazz community fosters a collaborative school culture, to support students in their development through the following:
- Students are explicitly taught and consistently challenged to work in a variety of constructs – from individual tasks and pairs to group projects and challenges – in order to grow, learn, and support one another to excel as scholars and a caring community of learners
- Staff work in a highly collaborative and accountable manner to support our students, build/improve the curriculum, and identify areas of focus and growth for both adults and youth
- Families consistently partner with Malcolm X Shabazz to ensure and provide effective support, resources, and input that support continuous growth and improvement
Malcolm X Shabazz vision to improve our own material and social conditions is the foundation for our program that trains our community to develop the agency and power to bring about change.
I look forward to meeting you in person.
In Unity & Struggle,