The Newark Public Schools Facilities Database Process
The methodology employed by the database has been as follows:
- Develop a methodical, uniform approach towards the assessment and documentation of the schools presently owned and/or occupied by the District consistent with the State of New Jersey’s Department of Education Facilities Efficiency Standards.
- Develop a process and conduct initial assessments of all instructional facilities that, when continued by the District, will serve as a consistent and readily available source of data suitable to inform operational and planning decisions.
The assessment of each school began in 2010 and continued in 2012. This process included:
2010: Space and Site Inventory
- Available facility documents were reviewed, including available floor plans, prior facility reports, the City of Newark Geographical Information System and publicly available site information.
- Site visits were conducted to each facility.
- Documents produced for each facility survey included:
- Site Plan,
- Site Plan Schedule noting noting pervious and impervious surfaces,
- Floor Plans designating use in Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) format,
- Room Schedule indicating room number, use, area, and floor and ceiling finish,
- Bathroom Fixture Schedule,
- Representative photographic images,
- Satellite Images, and
- Building Information Model (BIM) and Computer Assisted Design (CAD) drawings.
2012: Facilities Conditions Assessment
- A survey instrument was developed in Adobe LiveCycle so as to collect site, exterior, interior, and systems information in a uniform manner. The survey was designed to record descriptions, ages and conditions for a representative sample of attributes at each facility utilizing tablet computers.
- Site visits were conducted by a team of licensed architects, engineers, and student interns to complete the survey and photograph the facility.
- Survey data collected was submitted into the database and closely reviewed for consistency and accuracy.
- The 2010 floor plans and schedules were updated and uploaded. All facility photos were uploaded and assigned descriptive terms for search purposes.
- The survey data along with additional information were analyzed and scores were assigned for each facility for Facility Condition, Educational (Facility) Adequacy and Capacity Utilization based on 2012-13 enrollments and building usage.
- Documents made available for each facility in 2012 included:
- Revised/Updated 2010 Survey Documents (as previously described),
- Survey Data (accessible as MS Excel files),
- Facility Condition, Capacity Utilization, and Educational Adequacy Scores,
- Representative and Observational Images (200-300 per school facility),
- Historical Surveys and associated reports (when available).
- Additionally, a more powerful search feature was developed.