Welcome to Michelle Obama Elementary School!
Aug 6, 2021
It is my extreme honor to be named your Principal. As a former Newark student, who ironically sat in the same school building of Michelle Obama Elementary School as a young learner, I feel like my journey as an educator and leader has come full circle. I am thrilled that you have selected to entrust your child’s academic future to Michelle Obama Elementary School. We will create the new leaders of this world.
The start of school is fast approaching! Below you will find important dates and information to prepare.
- First Day of School – Tuesday, September 7, 2021.
- School Hours – 8:25 a.m. - 2:55 p.m.
- Students are required to wear masks.
- School Uniform Colors – White shirt, Burgundy Sweater/Skirt/Jumper/Tie, Gray Pants. Students can wear black shoes or sneakers. Students are not to wear flip flop or open toes shoes.
- New student registration continues throughout the month of August. All students must be registered before September 7, 2021 to ensure a seat.
- Meet and Greet with teachers will be in the playground on Thursday, September 2, 2021 3:00 p.m – 4:00 p.m.
- School Supply Lists are posted on our school’s website and will be provided on the first day of school by your child’s teacher.
- Lunch Applications MUST be completed for all students. We can help you get started.
- Back to School Night is on Thursday, September 23, 2021, 6:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. You will have the opportunity to hear more about our core values, partnerships, and district curriculum. Please join us for this important informational evening.
We have been working hard all summer to plan for a safe return to school and to implement best practices to mitigate the risks associated with Covid-19. Our classrooms have been modified to increase social distancing and signage has been installed throughout the building to guide students in an effort to further ensure safety measures. For more information, please see Newark Board of Education’s safe return plan on our district’s website.
Follow us on all of our social media platforms:
I hope all of our students have been enjoying their summer reading. A reminder of the grade level titles is listed below. Let’s keep our babies reading.
We’re All Wonders by R. J. Palacio
We're All Wonders taps into every child's longing to belong and to be seen for who they truly are. This story teaches empathy and kindness to young children.
Rising 1st Grade
Yo! Yes? by Chris Raschka
Yo! Yes? is a celebration of our differences and how it takes just a few words to turn strangers into friends. Enjoy this rhythmic story which is sure to teach everyone how to make friends with anyone!
Rising 2nd Grade
Juneteenth Jamboree by Carole Boston Weatherford
Juneteenth Jamboree reminds us of the importance of coming home and the joy of freedom. Read this beautifully illustrated book to join Cassie on her journey toward understanding the significance of history and the significance of home.
At the heart of my practice is building strong relationships with the staff, students, and families I serve. I look forward to listening to your ideas and expectations of our school and collaborating with each of you to support our sense of community here at Michelle Obama Elementary School. As your Principal, I will strive to ensure that all families feel welcome and connected to our school family. Please be on the lookout for upcoming Principal Chats and family events, but also know that I would love to hear from you at any time.
Sending you love with a dove,
Principal LaShanda Gilliam