A Team Effort
This Learning Compact is a voluntary agreement between home and school. The education of a child is a team effort involving the school, parents, students and the entire school community. We all must pledge to participate and work cooperatively for the successful education of all children.
As a Parent
As a parent I realize the importance of sharing responsibility with the school to further my child’s education. I understand that cooperation with Avon Avenue and proper supervision of my child will help his/her achievement and attitude. Therefore, I join with Avon Avenue by carrying out the following responsibilities to the best of my ability:
- Create an atmosphere of learning at home, that promotes the values of a good education. Including monitoring the amount of television my child(ren) watch and checking for homework completion daily.
- My child(ren) will attend school daily and will report by 8:20 am.
- My child(ren) will remain in school daily until 2:55 pm.
- I understand that three (3) early dismissals can result in an absence; furthermore, five (5) absences can result in a legal attendance referral.
- Attend school functions, conferences and meeting(s), day or evening.
- Encourage my child to demonstrate morality and respect for classmates, school personnel and school property.
- Give encouragement and praise to my children; congratulate and reward success (note: parents can donate incentives to our Buck Store).
- Restrict the amount of money, toys, or non-academic items that are brought to school, including candy, gum, soda, chips, seeds, or dangerous items to school. When such items are brought to school they can and will be confiscated.
- Check for information/communication from the school daily (K-8) and respond promptly.
- Volunteer in my child’s school and perform duties as a member of the Parent.
Ambassador Initiative. As a parent, I will treat all staff members at Avon Avenue with dignity and respect.
As a School
Avon Avenue will provide high quality curriculum and instruction in an effective learning environment to enable success for every student. We will:
- Provide opportunities for two parent teacher conferences held within the school year.
- This year the conferences are December 7, 2023 and February 15, 2025.
- Provide parents with frequent reports on their children’s progress.
- This year progress reports will be distributed:
- October 4, 2023
- December 19, 2023
- March 6, 2024
- May 23, 2024
- All staff members will treat parents and students with dignity and respect, while ensure a safe, positive learning environment.
- Provide parents with reasonable access to staff, opportunities to volunteer and participation in school/classroom activities.
- Provide educational workshops to help parents understand school curriculum.
- Provide teachers and staff with the trainings, and workshops needed to help them become stronger school leaders.
- Provide parents opportunities to volunteer and participate in their child’s class, and observe classroom activities
- Work to develop a system that helps allows a family to volunteer from home (i.e., sending home letters to be cut out).
- Help increase learning at home by:
- Increasing the amount of challenging homework.
- Ensure that homework is sent home consistently.
- Establishing a clearer communication tool around homework.
As a Student
As a student, I realize that learning is my threshold to accomplishing my dreams. I know that I am responsible for my own success. Therefore, I agree to carry out the following responsibilities to the best of my ability:
- Report to school on time every day prepared with homework and tools for learning.
- I will eat breakfast either at home or at school.
- Pay attention in class and ask for help when needed.
- Complete assignments in school and return completed homework daily.
- Get respect by showing respect to school personnel and other students and school property.
- Come to school to be the best student I can be, since this day will never come again.
- Understand and uphold the DREAMers Values and always seek to be a level 3 DREAMer.
- Fiercely love one another and not react with my emotions.
- Stop, state my feelings, and calm down, when face with a negative situation.