Common Core Standards
Common Core State Standards provide clear and consistent learning goals to help prepare students for college, career, and life. The standards clearly demonstrate what students are expected to learn at each grade level, so that every parent and teacher can understand and support their learning. For grades K-8, grade-by-grade standards exist in English language arts/literacy and mathematics. According to the best available evidence, the mastery of each standard is essential for success in college, career, and life in today’s global economy.
Achieve the Core
Steal These Tools-This website is full of free content designed to help educators understand and implement the Common Core State Standards. It includes practical tools designed to help students and teachers see their hard work deliver results. achievethecore.org was created in the spirit of collaboration. Please steal these tools and share them with others.
What you will find on EngageNY.org:
- Common Core Standards, curriculum and instructional resources, bilingual resources, and performance tasks
- Teacher/Leader Effectiveness materials such as leading and planning for APPR, various Student Learning Objectives (SLOs) and Growth Reporting System resources and information on the Value Added Measure (VAM)
- Data Driven Instruction and Inquiry resources including calendars, case studies, planning templates, implementation materials and sample assessments to improve student learning throughout the year
- Video library featuring Common Core teaching, information on the instructional shifts and highlights from NYSED’s Network Team Institutes
- Professional Development materials designed to support everything from school leaders and teachers to district-wide training
- Resources for Parents and Families designed to build understanding of the New York State education reform initiatives and how the changes help children.