Process of Admission at Bard High School Early College Newark for the 2023-2024 School Year
The Office of Admission at Bard High School Early College is committed to recruiting highly motivated young adults from all neighborhoods in Newark. It is our goal to provide our students with a challenging liberal arts curriculum that fosters and cultivates their intellectual curiosity and creativity. To ensure the individual success of students in our Early College program, we carefully consider the results of a writing assessment before interviewing eligible candidates for admission. We seek to admit those applicants who demonstrate maturity, intellectual curiosity, and a love of learning.
Important Dates to Note:
- Next Open House is on Saturday, January 21, 2023, 10:00am-12:00pm - Register
- Applications open on November 5, 2023
- Applications close on February 3, 2023
- Matches released on April 17, 2023
Admission to BHSEC Newark is conducted through the Newark Enrolls matching process. To be considered for admission, please see below.
Consideration for the 2023-2024 school year will be based on the following:
- Submission of student grades (a B average or above is preferred) from BOTH the current school year and last school year. Accepted materials include full page report cards/transcripts that are clear, legible and have the student’s name listed on the document.
- Attendance record (no more than 10 unexcused absences or 10 tardies in the previous school year is preferred)
- Teacher recommendations are optional but welcomed (see template)
- Upon submission of these documents you will be contacted for an interview and written assessment if the above listed criteria is met.
How to Apply
The following is required of all students who apply to BHSEC Newark.
- Completion of a Newark Enrolls application form, including most recent report card. Please note the Newark Enrolls application window opens on November 5, 2022 and closes on February 3, 2023.
- A completed online Bard application form, along with the student’s most recent grades and last year’s report card.
- Upon completion of BOTH applications, if our admissions criteria is met, we will reach out to schedule an interview and written assessment.
New Candidate Interviews
If our admissions criteria is met, the student will be emailed an invitation to interview.
The first Interview Session date will take place in December. Please check your email to see if you have been invited for an interview.
Interviews will take place in-person at Bard High School Early College, 321 Bergen Street, Newark NJ 07103
Students will be interviewed in the order in which they arrive by our caring BHSEC faculty and staff. They will also complete a literacy assessment.
Students are highly encouraged to bring copies of their latest report cards and state assessment score reports, if available.
Contact our Office of Admissions if you have any further questions:
Veronica Osorio, Director of Admissions
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 973-733-6861
Cindy Duran, Operations & Sustainability Coordinator
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 862-227-2998
Any transcripts or supporting documents can be mailed (though email is preferred):
Office of Admissions
Bard High School Early College – Newark
321 Bergen Street,
Newark NJ 07103