Rafael Hernandez School will create a safe and structured environment where students and staff, along with parents, guardians, and other stakeholders, come together as a community of life-long learners and leaders. Our school will foster individual differences and will be committed to providing an education of excellence that meets each student’s interests, abilities, and needs within a common curricular framework and reflects and promotes an understanding of, and appreciation for diversity in our community as an integral part of school life. Rafael Hernandez challenges each student to develop intellectual independence, creativity and curiosity, and a sense of responsibility toward others both within the School and in the Community at large. We will strive to think critically and creatively to encourage good decision-making strategies to promote a sense of teamwork and cooperation. By learning how to utilize the knowledge and tools necessary to confidently meet challenges, our students will be empowered to reach their potential, as well as become respectful and responsible citizen leaders for the future.
We are committed to life-long learning and educational innovation. The following are major principles that guide the daily learning environment at Rafael Hernandez:
- Learning is an active, joyful process of discovery where students are challenged to ask essential questions, solve problems in disciplined and creative ways, and construct substantive understandings under the guidance of passionate and inspiring teachers.
- Academic excellent is demonstrated by depth of conceptual understanding and achieved through rigorous engagement, comprehensive assessment and thoughtful self-evaluation.
- We honor the uniqueness of each individual and embrace diverse backgrounds, values, and points of view to build a strong, inclusive community and to prepare students for lives in a multicultural society.
- Students best grow in personal responsibility and self-worth in a school characterized by trust, honesty and mutual respect among students and teachers.
- We are committed to reflection, evaluation, evolution, and innovation as means to improve teaching and learning.
- Learning extends beyond the classroom to instill in students a sense of mission and purpose as citizens of the larger community and world.
- Valuing all dimensions of each child – intellectual, social, emotional.
- Cultivating values of respect, integrity, compassion and justice to encourage community responsibility, and engage students as participants in a democratic society and global community.
- Valuing all disciplines – the arts, sciences, humanities and physical development in an interdisciplinary curriculum, mindful of our historical emphasis on music, dance, theater, and visual arts.
Learning is active. Learning is challenging. Learning is meaningful. Learning is public.
Learning is collaborative.