The Bilingual/ESL program promotes both the acquisition of English in the domains of listening, speaking, reading, and writing and the most immediate and comprehensible understanding of district and state required core content through the systematic use of English and of the home language of the student. Core content instruction is most effective when it is adapted and expanded to match the academic and linguistic proficiency levels of each English Language Learner (ELL). Bilingual and ESL instruction is the state and federally mandated daily developmental instructional program for English Language Learners.
As mandated by the Department of Education, English as a Second Language (ESL) teachers are responsible for delivering a systematic and specialized English language curriculum sequence based upon national TESOL standards and measured by a NCLB-required annual English Proficiency Testing. Individualized, small group instruction characterizes the most efficient ESL methodology and promotes the highest performance on the annual NCLB tests [the ACCESS Test].
Bilingual teachers provide the identical core content curriculum as that taught by general program teachers; the critical difference exists in the delivery of that curriculum by the teachers through use of the two languages and through significant accommodations in lesson planning, pacing and presentation. In addition, linguistic-cultural-experiential expansion, adaptation of assessment instruments and techniques and “sheltered” use of instructional texts and resources in both languages must be incorporated into daily instruction.
Bilingual instruction is generally provided through a transitional model. Where possible, dual-language, two-way bilingual instruction is to be established to promote the most effective and enduring language learning to both English Language Learners and general program students.
- 101 Languages (NEW 04-09)
- Best ESL teaching-lesson planning websites
- Best French teaching-lesson planning websites
- Best Portuguese teaching-lesson planning websites
- Best Spanish teaching-lesson planning websites
- Colorin Colorado (English/Spanish)
- English and Portuguese Vowel Phonemes Compared
- English and Portuguese Consonant Phonemes Compared
- ESL-English Vocabulary Pronunciation Guide
- ESL-English Vocabulary Picture Dictionary
- Informacion para los padres about Bilingual Education and ESL (Spanish)
- K-12 Math Lesson Resources in Spanish
- Language Teaching Methods and Resources
- Migration Policy Institute
- Multilingual Picture Dictionary
- Spanish Vocabulary Pronunciation Guide