Individuals seeking information regarding adult education programs such as English as a Second Language (ESL) and arrangements to take the GED (General Education Development) tests should contact the following agencies for assistance.
Overview of Services
- Adult Basic Education (ABE) is designed for persons lacking the most basic educational skills. Program instruction focuses on basic communication, computation, and work readiness, civic and everyday living skills.
- English as a Second Language (ESL) is designed for persons with limited English language ability. Instruction is planned to prepare them in the acquisition of listening, speaking, reading and writing skills necessary to function effectively in an English-speaking environment and to enter other adult education programs.
- General Educational Development (GED) is designed for persons preparing to take the Tests of General Educational Development in order to qualify for a State-issued high school diploma. Instruction focuses on subject areas covered by the GED tests, namely, writing skills, social studies, science, interpreting literature and the arts,and mathematics. Instruction is offered in English and in Spanish (GED-S).The program offered in Spanish includes preparation for an English-as-a-second-language test.
- Age restrictions apply for GED (between the ages of 16-24) ESL (18+Over).
- Day and evening classes are conducted free of charge at various sites throughout the city and within the surrounding area.
- Please call location to verify hours of operation and arrange for an appointment.