Re-Engaging Students Through Career Technical Education & Social and Emotional Learning!
The Culinary Academy in Newark, is an inter-district service providing enhanced related service options to the young men and woman in our partner schools.
Students are selected to participate in the program by our partners based on a fluid set of criteria which includes student interest.
The Culinary Academy in Newark launched in October of 2016, as a shared-time program whose goals are:
- Offer Career and Technical Education pathways that lead to standard high school diplomas and industry valued credentials.
- Provide Social and Emotional Supports that lead to increased attendance rates and fewer disciplinary concerns.
- Provide Structured Learning Experiences that support an increase in the rate of students graduating with the prerequisites skills to move directly into and sustain in post-secondary education and/or employment.
The Culinary Academy currently has ninth, tenth, twelfth grade students enrolled. Students attend from 8:30-2:30 pm on a rotating A/B day schedule.
The Culinary Academy uses industry standard curricula with a focus on Commercial Food preparation. During each semester, students are graded via performance task aligned to the Culinary Arts skill module and its accompanying assignments from the Culinary Arts text. Students will exit SERVSAFE Food Handler Credentialed. It is the program’s plan that at the end of Culinary Arts III, students will take and pass the NJDOE-OCTE Recognized Assessment (NOCTI).
Culinary Academy Awards 2018
Our current partners are:
- New Jersey Regional Day – Ms. Jennifer Mitchell, Principal
- Office of Special Education – Ms. Marilyn Mitchell,Deputy ED Director for Special Education
The Culinary Academy Staff:
- Dr. Wanda Brooks-Long, Principal/Program Director
- Ms. Ava McLeod, Social Worker
- Chef Joseph Amabile
- Chef James Barry
- Ms. Kiesha Lewis, Program, Para-Professional