We are pleased to share an exciting announcement from the State Department of Education!
The NJ DOE has announced on October 13, 2021 that they will temporarily offer an additional substitute teacher credential pathway. Pursuant to P.L.2021,c.87, individuals who are enrolled in an accredited institution of higher education, have completed 30 semester-hour credits, and are at least 20 years of age will be eligible for a substitute teacher credential. Candidates may apply for a substitute teaching credential under these eligibility rules until June 30, 2023.
Candidates for a substitute credential now have two pathways to eligibility and may apply for substitute credentials as outlined below:
Substitute Teacher Credential Pathway 1 (Per N.J.A.C. 6A:9B-7.3)
- Completion of 60 semester-hour credits.
- Credits must be completed at an accredited college or university at the time of application.
- Credential is valid for five (5) years from the date of issuance.
Substitute Teacher Credential Pathway 2 (Per P.L. 2021, c.87)
- Completion of 30 semester-hour credits.
- Credits must be completed at an accredited institution of higher education at the time of application.
- Applicant must be enrolled in an accredited institution of higher education at the time of application.
- Applicant must be at least 20 years of age.
- Credential pathway is available until June 30, 2023.
- Credential is valid for five (5) years from the date of issuance.
Note, requesting a criminal history check can be done prior to the submission of a formal application for credentials! We encourage candidates to begin this process immediately through the office of student protection. This helps accelerate the hiring process. https://nj.gov/education/crimhist
Please feel free to reach out to Per Diem Staffing at email@example.com if you have any questions. We look forward to supporting you.
A Guide for Applicants: How to Apply for a Substitute Teacher Certification
Below is the procedure to follow for candidates who have been offered employment as Per Diem Teachers.
Step One: Apply to the Job Posting
Complete an online application through the Newark Board of Education (NBOE) website for Per Diem Teacher. Click here for the application. From the NBOE home page, select “Jobs”, then scroll down and select “NBOE Non-Instructional Jobs”. Once there, you can either search using “Per Diem Teacher” in the keywords box or review the pages for the “Per Diem Teacher” title.
Step Two: Complete Criminal History Record Check Process
- Pay administrative fee(s) for the criminal history background clearance and print out the IdentoGO New Jersey Universal Fingerprint Form from the New Jersey Department of Education (NJDOE) Office of Student Protection webpage ($11)
- Go to the Identogo Website to schedule an appointment and pay fingerprinting fees ($66.05 for those who have never been fingerprinted in New Jersey, or $29.75 if previously printed through the NJDOE subsequent to March 2003). The positon title must be Substitute or Classroom Teacher.
- Attend the scheduled appointment time and get fingerprinted. Make sure to bring the following to your scheduled appointment: o Picture Identification (ID) Note: Foreign passports will no longer be accepted as proof of identification; IdentoGO New Jersey Universal Fingerprint Form; and Verify criminal history status form.
Step Three: Apply for the Substitute Credential Online
Apply online in the Teacher Certification Information System (TCIS) for the substitute credential and pay the $125.00 application fee. Questions concerning technical use of TCIS may be resolved by emailing TCIStechassist@nulldoe.nj.gov.
PLEASE NOTE: Take a screenshot of your payment confirmation page and email it to Perdiemstaffing@nullnps.k12.nj.us. The subject should read, “PD Teacher - Application Completed.”
Step Four: Submit your transcripts and criminal history status check
- Provide a copy of your Fingerprint Approval Letter to Ms. Eunice Moore at Eunice.Moore@nulldoe.nj.gov. If you are currently an employee (non-teacher) you must archive your fingerprints to indicate “Substitute Teacher”. Please visit https://nj.gov/education/crimhist/ for instructions. When submitting your Criminal History Review to Ms. Moore, you MUST include your tracking number!
- Provide two (2) official transcripts from the college(s) or University that you attended proving at least 60 total college credits. One set should be sent electronically to Eunice Moore at Eunice.Moore@nulldoe.nj.gov. One set should be sent electronically to Perdiemstaffing@nullnps.k12.nj.us. Transcripts must be sent directly from the college or university to be considered official. Scanned or forwarded copies will not be accepted.
Renewal of Expired Certificates:
- Complete step three above.
- If your substitute certification expired more than (6) months ago, a copy of the Fingerprint Approval letter and an official transcript will be required to be sent to Eunice.Moore@nulldoe.nj.gov.
A substitute certificate is transferable from county to county; therefore, an applicant applying for substitute employment in more than one county should receive only one certificate. This certificate may then be validated (recorded) by any county, providing a local school district advises the respective county superintendent of the need for services of the applicant due to an inadequate supply of regularly certified teachers. However, the fingerprint approval must be transferred/ archived to the district that you are working.
A person who holds a CE, CEAS, or Standard Teacher’s certificate issued by the New Jersey Department of Education does not have to apply for a substitute certificate. The Standard certificate must, however, be recorded with the Newark Board of Education – Human Resource Service Department.
A Guide for School Leaders: Requesting Per Diem (PD) teachers
In our efforts to expedite your requests for substitute coverage, we are pleased to introduce the HRS NEW process for requesting the assignment of active subsitute teachers for your location. Below is the procedure to follow to request the assignment of Per Diem (PD) Teachers for your location.
Step One: Review the PD teacher (Tab 2) availability spreadsheet.
Step Two: Contact the PD teacher and offer the assignment.
- Check the current availability for the PD teacher.
- Connect with the PD teacher and offer the assignment.
Step Three: Complete the PD teacher assignment form
Once you have chosen a per diem teacher from the Per Diem availability list, please complete the PD teacher assignment form.
Step Four: Confirmation and COVID-19 Compliance
- Per Diem Staffing will confirm the assignment via an email to the PD Teacher and Principal.
- Principal is to ensure that the PD Teacher adheres to COVID-19 protocols and must receive clearance from Health Services before reporting to your location.
Please feel free to reach out to the Per Diem Staffing at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or need additional support.