Newark Public School’s Uniform Policy
Newark Public School’s elementary and middle school students (Pre K to 8th Grade) were required to wear school uniforms since the 2008-2009 school year. School Uniforms enhance school safety, promote school pride, create a sense of unity among students, and improve the learning environment, bridge socioeconomic differences between children, promote good behavior, improve children’s self-respect and self-esteem and produce cost savings for participating families.
Starting the 2013 school year our school uniform will consist of Navy Blue shirts, blouses, or sweaters, with Khaki pants, jumpers, or skirts. Our gym uniform consists of a Navy Blue sweatshirts and sweatpants.
Students will wear uniforms in their respective school colors. Clothing must be sized to fit the student. Pants should fit appropriately and should not be too tight or too loose. Shirts should be the appropriate size and should not extend below the hip. It is acceptable for students with special religious beliefs and/or special needs or extenuating circumstances to wear head coverings.
- Polo-style shirts, button-down shirts, and turtleneck shirts are permitted
- Sleeveless shirts or T-shirts are NOT permitted.
- All long-sleeve solid colored crew-neck, V-neck, or cardigan sweaters, fleece, or sweatshirts must be worn with a collared shirt, turtleneck, or blouse.
- Denim jeans and sweatpants* are NOT permitted
- Shorts, skirts, scooters, and jumpers.
- A solid color belt must be worn if pants or shorts have belt loops
- Clothing must be worn at the natural waist
- Shoes must be navy blue, black, or brown in color; no open heel or toes permitted.
- Shoes must be securely fastened. Clogs, flip-flops, and bedroom slippers are NOT permitted
- Students may not wear hats, hoods, hoodies, sweatbands, bandannas (except for religious exemptions), or sunglasses while in the school building.
- Coats and jackets must be stored in the student’s classroom.
Letter to Elementary School Parents
School Uniform Result Percentages
District Uniform Scorecard
Regions Uniform Scorecard
Key Performance Indicator (KPI) Letter
School Uniform Advisory – English
School Uniform Advisory – Spanish
School Uniform Advisory – Creole
Uniform Initiative For Elementary and Secondary Schools