Announcement From Principal DeVaughn and Online Learning Resources During School Closure
Mar 16, 2020
Dear Parent or Guardian,
American History High School is dedicated to the continuity of instruction, especially when emergent conditions require alternate plans. In order to ensure that learning continues for all of our students, we have created a remote learning platform through Google Classroom for students to access their courses. The District has created Learning at Home Plans which are available on the District’s website and will be uploaded to this platform, along with other resources and tasks specific to your child’s coursework that will be uploaded by your child’s teachers. Students are expected to log in on a daily basis and interact with their instructors digitally. We have provided a device/Wi-Fi hotspot to your child to access the platform if needed. If you do not have access to internet or a device, paper versions of learning packets will be available for pick up at designated breakfast and lunch locations throughout the city.
Teachers will monitor student completion of instructional tasks remotely. In addition, teachers will provide online office hours where they are available daily for direct instruction via the Google Classroom platform. If a student fails to sign in and complete assignments for 2 consecutive days, teachers and administration will contact home. Students are expected to connect daily and navigate activities provided by the teachers through this platform. Teachers will update lessons, monitor progress, and assess assignments daily. Parents are expected to provide time and encourage daily student engagement. The communication between the administration, staff parents and guardians, and students will be critical to the success of this remote learning experience. We want and expect daily feedback and interactions between staff and students.
Parents can support your child in their learning at home process by:
- Monitoring student learning updates via the various communication platforms
- Check in with your child daily about the tasks, activities, and assessments that they are working on.
- Designating a place where your child will work independently on his/her assigned tasks.
- Reminding your child to email his/her teachers if they have any questions.
- Asking your child to provide a brief summary of the learning he/she is engaging in for each class to ensure their understanding of the content and of the process they are being asked to engage in to demonstrate their learning.
- Asking your child about submission recommendation dates and supporting them, as needed, in completing their assignments in a timely fashion.
Students can ensure their success in the learning at home process by:
- Dedicating appropriate time to learning, as guided by your teachers.
- Checking appropriate Google Classroom courses and emails on a daily basis.
- Identifying a comfortable and quiet space to study/learn.
- Approaching your work with academic honesty.
- Reviewing submission recommendation dates and complete assignments in a timely fashion.
If your child experiences technical or connectivity challenges with the online platform, please contact our technology coordinator Timothy Arnold at: t1arnold@nullNPS.K12.NJ.US.
If you need additional supports during this time, our Parent Liaison, Andrea Webb, can be reached at: awebb@nullNPS.K12.NJ.US .
Additional information on how students and parents can access Google Classroom can be found here:
Allison R. De Vaughn