THE NEWARK PUBLIC SCHOOLS
COMPUTER NETWORK AND INTERNET ACCEPTABLE USE POLICY (AUP)
The District is committed to the use of telecommunication networks in a responsible, efficient, courteous and legal manner. Internet access and other on-line services, provided to students and teachers, offer a multitude of global resources. Our goal in providing these services is to enhance the educational development of our students. Acceptable uses of telecommunications are devoted to activities that support teaching and learning. The use of the Newark Public Schools (NPS) computer network is limited to the exchange of academic information, research, career and professional development activities consistent with the mission of the District. In support of NPS district’s goal, users must agree to this policy as a condition of receiving Internet access. Usage is a privilege, not a right. Network: Unacceptable uses of The Newark Public Schools’ computer network accounts and Internet resources include, but are not limited to, the following:
1. Users may not use the NPS computer network for private or commercial business use, political or religious purposes.
2. Users may not use the NPS computer network to advertise goods and services, or to purchase goods and services for personal use.
3. Users may not use the NPS computer network to engage in any illegal act or action that violates local, state or federal laws.
4. Users may not use the NPS computer network to access, send, post, download, print, or store pornographic, obscene, or offensive materials, or materials that advocate hate, violence, or harassment and discrimination towards others.
5. Users must not tamper with, modify, or change the District’s system, software, hardware, or wiring.
6. The downloading and storage of files, which consume system resources, without the expressed approval of the Network Manager (Technology Coordinator) is strictly prohibited.
Security on any computer system is a high priority, especially when the system involves many users. Keeping this in mind, all users must adhere to the following.
7. Users are responsible for their individual accounts and should take serious precautions to prevent others from being able to use their accounts. Attempts to log on as any other user will result in cancellation of user privileges. Under no conditions or circumstances should users give passwords to other individuals.
8. Vandalism will result in cancellation of privileges and possible disciplinary or legal action. Vandalism is defined as any malicious or intentional attempt to harm or destroy data of another user, the destruction of computer equipment or other school property, the theft of or defacing of computer equipment. This also includes the intentional uploading or creation of computer viruses when using the Internet.
9. Distribution of personal information over the Internet is strictly prohibited.
10. Users who are identified as a security risk or having a history of problems with other computer systems will be denied access to the Internet.
11. Never agree to meet in person with anyone you have met online unless you first have the approval of a parent or guardian.
12. Your parent or guardian should instruct you if there is additional material that they think would be inappropriate for you to access. The District expects you to follow your parent or guardian’s wishes regarding such material.
13. E-mail is provided for the purpose of exchanging information consistent with the mission of the District.
14. While engaged in activities on the NPS computer network, users are prohibited from transmitting E-mail to others that includes material that is vulgar, rude, obscene, pornographic, inflammatory, threatening, harassing, disrespectful or which uses sexually explicit language.
15. Users must not post chain letters or engage in “spamming”. Spamming is the sending of an annoying and unnecessary message to a large number of people.
16. Users are responsible to take all reasonable precautions to prevent virus infections on the District’s equipment.
17. The downloading of any software or files without the approval of the Network Manager (Technology Coordinator) is strictly prohibited. Software is defined as, but not limited to programs, games, browsers, and sound files, which can be downloaded from the Internet.
18. The illegal use of copyrighted software or files is prohibited. Copyright infringement occurs when you use and/or reproduce a work that is protected by a copyright.
19. Users must not plagiarize academic work found on the Internet.
20. The accessing of web-based games, listening to, or viewing sound and video files, and participating in chat rooms are strictly prohibited.
The District does not relinquish control over materials on the computer system or contained in files stored on the system.
The District reserves the right to suspend or terminate the computer systems access of users who have violated the AUP, and to delete or remove files found to be in violation of the AUP.
The District will report and cooperate fully with local, state, and federal authorities in any investigation concerning or related to any illegal activities conducted through the NPS computer network.
STUDENT ACCEPTABLE POLICY USE AGREEMENT
Student Name__________________________________ Grade/HR____________
I have read the Newark Public Schools’ Acceptable Use Policy. I agree to follow the rules contained in this policy and to use my computer account and the Internet in a responsible manner.
• I understand that the use of the computer network and Internet is
limited to academic activities and is a privilege.
• Should I violate the policy, I understand that my Internet access, and/or computer account may be suspended or terminated and other disciplinary action or legal action may be taken against me.
Student Signature: ___________________________________________ Date ____________________
PARENT or GUARDIAN IT IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT THAT YOUR CHILD IS INSTRUCTED TO ADHERE TO THE ACCEPTABLE USE POLICY. WE URGE YOU TO DISCUSS THESE RULES AND THE POLICY WITH YOUR CHILD BEFORE RETURNING IT TO THE SCHOOL.
• I have read and understand the Newark Public Schools’ Acceptable Use Policy relating to use of the NPS computer network and the Internet.
• I understand that the computer network and Internet access are being provided for educational purposes.
• I have discussed this policy with my child.
• I understand that my child will be subject to disciplinary action for violation of any of these rules. I also understand that violation of this policy will result in loss of Internet access, termination of network privileges for repeated violations, and may include other disciplinary and legal action, if warranted.
• I recognize that it is impossible for the District to restrict access to all controversial materials available on the Internet and I will not hold the school district responsible for controversial materials acquired by my child while on-line.
• I agree to release the District and its teachers from and against any and all claims arising from my child’s misuse of the NPS computer network and the Internet.
• I agree to be responsible if my child misuses the NPS computer network, the Internet, or other on-line systems.
I hereby give permission for my child to use a District computer account and the Internet. I certify that the information contained in this form is correct and true.
PRINT NAME ____________________________________ DATE: ____________
HOME ADDRESS: _______________________________________
HOME PHONE NUMBER ________________________________
WORK PHONE NUMBER ________________________________
Technology Coordinator’s Signature: _____________________________________________ Date___________________