Abington Avenue Elementary School is Having a Facelift, with Masonry Restoration and New Roofing
Sep 18, 2015
As all of you have seen, construction work is ongoing at the Abington Avenue School. This work commenced at the end of school year last June and will be complete in the spring of 2016. The purpose of the work is to renew the exterior masonry with new pointing, brick replacement and new roofs. This work’s aim is to restore the school exterior to make it safe, clean and waterproof. Safety is our primary concern. Please follow all directions by the administration.
The following is an overview of the scope of work:
- Clean interior and exterior of work areas.
- Repair sandstone at front entrance.
- Remove and replace cracked brick and stone.
- Replace corroded steel window lintel supports and rebuild surrounding brick, with new flashing to prevent corrosion of new lintels.
- Paint removal of graffiti layers.
- Install standing seam metal roofs at high mansard roofs.
- Remove all roof surfaces
- Remove deteriorated sub-surface framing.
- Install metal flashing and gutters.
- Remove existing deteriorated metal window panel inserts and install new metal window panel inserts.
- Install new flat and sloped roofing of all three types.
- Remove cracked bluestone window sills and install new bluestone window sills.
- Grind brick joints on the entire exterior.
- Replace brick/ repoint brick mortar joints on the entire exterior.
- Wash down all brick surfaces.
- Frame for new metal cornice at upper portion of school.
- Install metal fascia gutters and leaders.
- Replace deteriorated wood framing at penthouse roofing and portico.
- Remove corroded copper cornices and replace with new aluminum cornices.
- Replace areas of missing and damaged brick.
- Remove damaged stucco and replace damaged brick behind stucco.
- Remove and replace sealant/ caulking around all windows and exterior doors.