Elizabeth Aranjo, Head of Athletics
Health & Physical Education are an essential part of the total educational process and contribute to the overall growth and development of the individual student. This process must be based upon the physical, social, and emotional needs of each student.
Every student needs to be afforded the opportunity to grow in the areas of knowledge and understanding, motor skills, attitudes, and personal fitness that will enable him/her to achieve a lifestyle in which regular, vigorous physical activity, nutrition, and healthy choices become an integral part. To these ends the Weequahic HS Health & Physical Education programs are committed to empowering our students with the knowledge and skills to develop, maintain and apply the principles of fitness and lifelong activities into their daily lives and improve lifelong wellness.
We Believe That a Quality Health & Physical Education Program . . . .
- is standards based
- is developmentally appropriate
- is sequential and progressive
- is balanced in its approach
- focuses on skill acquisition and development
- has a high degree of engaged learning time
- uses games to reinforce skill development
- promotes positive feelings about oneself
- makes use of up-to-date grading/assessment practices
- has teachers who demonstrate exemplary instructional strategies
The H/PE department incorporates a multi-dimensional approach to wellness that promotes individual responsibility. We emphasize an active process of becoming aware of and making choices towards a healthier, more fulfilling life by giving students the skills and knowledge needed to establish and sustain an active lifestyle.
By graduation, a Weequahic HS student will be able to:
- Exhibit a healthy, active and well-balanced lifestyle.
- Display an understanding and respect for differences among people.
- Demonstrate responsible decision-making skills in personal and social settings.
- Demonstrate knowledge of and improvement in a variety of movement forms.
- Define skill and health-related fitness concepts.
- Establish and maintain a health-enhancing level of physical fitness.
- Apply wellness concepts to a variety of activities in everyday life.
- Understand and values physical activity as an opportunity for health, enjoyment, challenge, self-expression, and social interaction.
- Engage in a healthy, wellness-oriented lifestyle encompassing the whole person.