Download the PDF One Pager on the Transparency Committee (Updated 5/23/2017)
Updated June 14, 2017
- In an effort to ensure the greatest opportunity possible for parent participation, we are extending the application window for an additional 2-week period (6/14–6/28). Those parents who have previously applied DO NOT need to submit another application to be considered in this round.
- Parent representatives will be selected by a committee of 5: 2 board reps covered by Marques & Dashay along with 2 district reps and 1 external stakeholder. This committee will select between 6-10 parents to be interviewed during the week of 7/10 and will determine the final 3 parent representatives to serve on the committee (to be announced the week of 7/17).
- 6/14 – 6/28: Extended application window
- Week of 7/10: Parent interviews conducted
- Week of 7/17: Selection and notification of 3 parent representatives
- Week of 7/24: Committee commences work
- Week of 9/25: Final report to district
Thank you for your interest in serving on the Transparency Committee! We are committed to continuous improvements in our universal enrollment system and need your input on how the current process is working for you and your family. Your feedback will enable us to better serve our parents/guardians and ensure that we are providing you with the information necessary to make the best educational decisions for your child(ren).
The Transparency Committee is tasked with reviewing and making recommendations in key areas of the enrollment system and its related policies. Among the core areas to be examined are the following:
- Neighborhood preference/Definition of geographic hubs
- Sibling preference
- Transfer policy
- Waitlist policy
- Magnet school enrollment policy
- New student arrival policy
The committee will produce a set of findings and recommendations to be presented to the district in the form of a public report. All recommendations presented to the administration will be thoroughly reviewed and considered in future district efforts to improve the enrollment system and related policies in school year 2017-18 and beyond.
Parent Nomination and Selection Process
- Qualification: Individual must be the parent or legal guardian of a student currently enrolled in a public school (district or charter) and planning to return for the upcoming school year (2017-18).
- Application Submission (Online): Parents can submit applications online (via the form below).
- Application Submission (Paper): Parents can download a paper application and submit in-person at NPS Central Office (2 Cedar Street) or their child(s) school.
- Selection Process: Parents will be chosen via a random lottery and ranked in order. Three parents/guardians will then be selected based on characteristics sought in parent representatives (special needs, bilingual, district and charter experience, south and east wards).
- Deadline for application submission is Wednesday, June 28, 2017 at 3:00 P.M.
Commitment (Updated 5/23/2017)
- Due to an extended selection process, the Committee will convene June and continue its work throughout the summer months. Participants must be available for in-person meetings and teleconferences during the months of June, July, and August.