By the end of the century the city of Newark kept growing by the influx of new immigrants, mostly Italians families coming from an impoverished Italian nation, looking to cover the raising demand for cheap labor. The increasing number of children forced the city to start building new schools. At the beginning of the century, Sussex Avenue School was erected as well as Abington Avenue School, and Bergen Street School.
Sussex Avenue School was enlarged for the first time in 1904. New additions were completed in 1955.