History

Beaver Pride

Where Children are Learning Everyday

1940 1940 class 0f 1940 Class of 1953

South 17th Street School is a Kindergarten through Eighth Grade Elementary School located in the Central Ward of Newark, New Jersey overlooking West Side Park. Our school was established in 1908 and has seen many changes. Originally named West Side Elementary, this name is still engraved above the doorway underneath the school’s current title.

South 17th Street School is one of the oldest “public” elementary schools in Newark. Currently we have a population of approximately 500 students. We have two all day kindergarten classes and six “self-contained” Special Needs classes, along with a Special Needs Resource center and an onsite Crisis Intervention team.

We are a close knit school with a strong community base. We truly focus our efforts on: Unity of Purpose, Empowerment Coupled with Responsibility, and Building on Strengths.

We have a newly renovated mini networked computer lab which services kindergarten through third grades mainly, but is open to all grades. It includes several Learning Stations and provides our young students with access to the Internet. The Learning Stations include computer stations, work journal stations, writing stations, a listening library and a make and take workstation. This equipment empowers the primary students as well as the middle grade students for the 21st century of technology, and to assist us in helping them to bridge the digital divide by preparing them with skills needed for the work force.