Unified enrollment system builds on recent improvements to focus on providing neighborhood preference, keeping siblings together, and improving the overall family experience
[Newark, NJ – December 04, 2017] The Newark Enrolls Application Portal opened today, Monday December 4th, and will remain open for 11 weeks until Friday February 16th. Families can apply to the district or charter schools of their choice before February 16th. Students will be assigned to the highest ranked choice available. A citywide school fair will be held on December 9th at Barringer High School.
This year Newark Enrolls is focused on continuing to improve how the enrollment process works for Newark families. To do this, the district has built on recent improvement to continue to provide neighborhood preference for 100% of district elementary schools, to focus on keeping siblings in the same school, to provide direct online access for parents to make enrollment changes through the Family Enrollment Portal, and to closely review school placements for students who require special services to ensure appropriate services are available. The district also continues to incorporate feedback from parents and community members to make further improvements around how families actually directly interact and learn about the enrollment process, they include:
- Changes to Improve Family Experience:
- Enhanced mobile compatibility to increase accessibility of the online application and Family Enrollment Portal.
- Decreased wait times and better service at the family support center due to an increase in coordinators and increased expertise for those families who need assistance in specialty areas.
- A streamlined timeline that will allow parents to receive school assignments and waitlist results at the same time. The family enrollment portal will open the following week, minimizing gaps in parents’ ability to make enrollment changes.
- More and Better Information and Resources:
- A video produced last spring is available for the entire enrollment process for the first time, allowing families new to the process to learn about how it works in one place.
- An additional city-wide event for 8th graders to learn about high school options in depth.
- An improved guidebook and other resources that have more information than ever before.
Students in the last grade in their current school, enrolling in a school for the first time, or who want to enroll in a new school that best fits their needs should apply. As always, students who plan to remain at their current school DO NOT need to apply. More information is available at www.newarkenrolls.org, where a detailed School Guidebook will be available on December 4th.
Families can learn about school options by attending the citywide school fair on Saturday December 9th at Barringer High School where parents can:
- Explore school options
- Experience school performances
- Complete the Newark Enrolls application
- Come out and join us for a day of family fun, face painting, raffles, pizza and light refreshments!