Advisors: H. Grady James IV – Principal/Founder
Purpose: The Hawthorne Avenue School Young Men’s Academy is a school-based organization that seeks to develop the academic and social aspects of adolescent life for inner-city boys in grades 6-8.
The Young Men’s Academy functions under a 5-pillar character building system:
V. FAMILY and BROTHERHOOD
The Academy will research, and discuss the occurrence and pressing issues of inner-city boys. These issues include, but are not limited to:
- Social Etiquette
- Work Ethic
- Peer Pressure
- Workplace Readiness
- The Role of Media in the Black Community
- Drugs and Alcohol
- Abstinence, Safe Sex, and Sexual Harassment
- Anger Management and Conflict Resolution
- The Effects of Education (or the lack thereof)
- Every Monday, the young men will demonstrate workplace readiness by dressing in a collared, button down shirt with a neck tie (can be supplied by staff if necessary), dress or khaki pants.
- Mr. James will facilitate meetings. However, guest speakers may be called in to speak on specific issues.
- The meetings will generally take place during the school day for one-hour periods. In some instances, the young men will be called in for workshops and activities.
- For Annual Men’s Day and community projects, guests may also come in to speak to, and converse with our young men.