At William H. Horton we offer a Computer Science course to students K-8. While in this course students learn the fundamentals of typing, Using the Google platform for academic and career success, Computer Coding Basics, and PARCC Platform Tool Navigation.
Below is a list of resources that students can use to support their technology education while also gaining the skills necessary to successfully navigate Computer-Based Assessments. The items appearing in these tutorials are samples used to allow students and educators to gain familiarity with the technology platform and paper-based format that will be used for PARCC assessments
- PARCC Practice Test Tutorial (Part 1)
Navigating the Test: This video walks students through how to access the PARCC practice test and how to navigate through the test.
- PARCC Practice Test Tutorial (Part 2)
Test Tools: This video focuses on the various tools students will need to know how to utilize within the TestNav platform. These tools include a magnifier, line reader, note pad, answer eliminator, and pointer/highlighter to name a few.
- PARCC Practice Test Tutorial (Part 3)
Test Taking Skils: This video focuses on the various question types students will encounter on the test and the skills they will need to answer questions successfully. Some examples of question types include free response, multiple answer, drag and drop, and using a drop down menu.
- PARCC Test Nav. Tutorial: This hands-on tutorial is designed to familiarize students with how to navigate through the TestNav platform.
- ELA Practice Tests – Select grade level and click on “Standard Test Nav Version” button
- Math Practice Tests – Select grade level and click on “Standard Test Nav Version” button
Online Student Tutorials
These tutorials will show students the variety of question types they will encounter when taking the PARCC online. First students are exposed to a question type and then they are given a content-based example for practice.
Equation Editor Tutorials
The equation editor is a tool students will need to know how to use for the math portion of the PARCC assessment. It allows students to build equations to show solutions to test questions.
- Equation Editor Guide (Grades 3-5)
- Equation Editor Tutorial (Grades 3-5)
- Practice with Equation Editor (Grades 3-5)
- Equation Editor Guide (Grades 6-8)
- Equation Editor Tutorial (Grades 6-8)
- Practice with Equation Editor (Grades 6-8)
Drag and Drop
Keyboarding Game Sites
- Dance Mat Typing
- Free Typing Games
- Learning Games for Kids
- Super Hyper Spider Typer
- Typing Club
- Mouse Interactive Tutorials
- Mouse Program (highlighting skills)
- Mouse Program (scrolling)
- Drawing with a Mouse
Text Editing Tools