Executive Director of Safety
765 Broad Street
Newark, NJ 07102
The Office of Security Services/Investigations creates and implements Crisis Management/School Safety Plans to ensure the safety of all students and school personnel in the event of a crisis. In response, the district has made efforts to enhance the capabilities of administrators, teachers, and other school personnel to prevent, prepare for, respond to, and recover from a crisis situation. The department provides resources such as security personnel, alarms and surveillance technology. Through these efforts a safe and secure environment can be realized.
Primary responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Collaborates with local, county and state emergency management agencies
- Reviews school safety plans for district compliance
- Conducts risk assessment audits for schools
- Provides training for administrators and school personnel
- Assists school personnel during a crisis situation
- Conducts internal investigations for various offenses
- Installs and repairs various technology such as: video surveillance system, metal detectors and alarm systems
- Provides personnel for various events, community forums, advisory board meetings, etc.
Office of Security Services has provided an environment of safety and security for all district schools and central office. Through the use of technology such as surveillance systems the office has provided the local police with ongoing assistance in the apprehension of suspect(s) for internal and external matters. All schools in the district have state of the art security technology which has reduced incidents district wide. The district has realized a reduction in violent incidents in high schools due to the deployment of district employed school resource officers.
- Additional training for security personnel
- Working more closely with District Safety Committee
- Continue collaboration with outside agencies
- Upgrade surveillance technology as funding becomes available
- Review and revise security guard manual
Ways to get Involved
Our goal is to provide for a safe and secure environment for students, school/central office personnel and others. Through discussions and feedback from our clients this will be accomplished.