Conducting Research at Newark Public Schools
Newark Public Schools welcomes collaboration with researchers, when possible, to advance the collective knowledge base regarding improvements to education. Any individual, university, or organization that would like to engage in professional research, surveys, or program evaluations in collaboration with NPS must receive prior approval from the Office of Data & Research. This includes NPS employees who would like to conduct research outside of their current employment responsibilities. Researchers wishing to conduct research in schools must first follow the steps below.
If you are interested in conducting research with Newark Public Schools, please fill out our Initial Screening Form. Once we have received your initial screening form, we will begin the process of reviewing your request. Please see the details outlined below:
- Once the researcher completes the initial screening form, the NPS research team will review and notify the researcher of current status.
- If the study passes the initial screening process, NPS will send the researcher a full external research application.
- The NPS research review team evaluates all requests received during the current review cycle to determine which studies to approve given our capacity and research priorities.
- The research review team will inform prospective researchers of their status. Studies will be approved, denied, or asked to be revised and resubmitted in the next review period.
- If approved, an NPS staff member will be assigned to your project who will work with you to finalize any necessary data-sharing and/or legal agreements and implement your project.
Key Dates in Current Research Review Cycle
- Deadline for initial screening forms: September 22nd, 2017
- Deadline for external research applications: September 29th, 2017
- Researcher notified of approval status: November 15th, 2017
If your project falls outside of this timeline, please e-mail email@example.com and include this information in the project description on your initial screening form.