The history of Chancellor Avenue School dates back to 1784. It is actually the oldest standing Newark school. The original Chancellor Avenue Old Stone Schoolhouse was originally located in the community known as Lyons Farms on Pot Pie Lane which was a small road connecting Elizabethtown and Newark. It was later annexed to Newark in 1902. Chancellor Avenue School had been built by the Lyons family, who were descendants of an original Newark settler family in 1728 on land purchased from the Hackensack Indians for a quarter-pound of gunpowder but was destroyed by fire and rebuilt in 1784. George Washington is even said to have visited the schoolhouse on his way to the Battle of Elizabeth. It was gifted to The Newark Museum by the Newark Board of education in 1938 and was moved –stone by stone- to the Newark Museum’s gardens. The latest Chancellor Avenue School is still located on the original site.
On November 1, 2007 the current Chancellor Avenue School staff and students were invited to the rededication ceremony which included the opening of a time capsule that was set in the original schoolhouse cornerstone in 1938. The staff, students, and invited dignitaries replaced the 1938 memorabilia with items representing life in Newark in 2007 and reset the time capsule in the cornerstone for future generations.
The current Chancellor Avenue School building was built in 1938 which is located at 321 Chancellor Avenue. Chancellor Avenue Elementary serves grades K-8 in the South Ward of Newark. There are approximately 540 students. Chancellor has a staff of professionals which includes K-8 regular and special needs classroom teachers, and teachers in the fields of art, physical education and our STEAM program.