What is School Based Youth Services Program(SBYSP)?
New Jersey School-Based Youth Services Program is a collaborative partnership between the New Jersey Department of Human Services, local school boards, and the community they serve. In our efforts to provide better access to health and social service programs for children in Newark, Children’s Hospital of New Jersey at Newark Beth Israel Medical Center has opened School-Based YSP at Barringer High. The goal of this program is to improve the health status of the children by providing quality services on-site.
SBYSP staff consist of a director, administrative assistance, licensed social worker, health educator, youth development specialist and tutors. The staff is there to assist the school nurse, doctor, guidance counselor, PTA, teachers and the entire school staff. Additional professionals are also available to present seminars that addresses stress changes to altar risk taking behaviors and ease the transition from adolescent to adult.
How does the program works?
School-Based YSP is funded by the New Jersey Department of Human Services. The program is staffed by professionals from Children’s Hospital of New Jersey and Newark Beth Israel Medical Center. These experts are available to assist students in school.
Who is eligible?
The services offered by the SBYSP are available to all students enrolled in the participating schools. However, a Consent Form must be completed and signed by the parent/guardian prior to the student receiving provided services. All information provided on the Consent and History Form are confidential. The Consent Form are valid until the student graduates from the school.
What services are available?
- Services include: Primary, Preventive & Reproductive Health Referrals
- Counseling Services: Individual, Family & Group, Crisis Intervention, Bereavement, Separation Anxiety, Stress & Anger Management, Relationship
- Classroom Lectures include the following Topics: Dental Health/Oral Hygiene, Conflict Resolution, Substance Abuse, Anger Management, Healthy Choices
- Learning Support Services: Resume Writing, College Preparation, Tutoring, College Tours
- Employment Services: Job Placement, Interview Skills, Job-Readiness Seminars