Home of the Blue Bears History
Barringer High School, established in 1838, was the first high school in the state and is the third oldest in the nation. Initially called Newark High, the name was changed to Barringer High School on the 21st of July in the year 1907 to honor Dr. William Nathan Barringer, Superintendent of Schools.
Established originally as an all boys school to provide education beyond primary school, Barringer is now a comprehensive high school which provides a wide range of educational and social services to the youth of Newark. Barringer graduates have achieved success in every sector of public and private life, and include prominent educators, scholars, doctors, lawyers and business professionals.