Process of Admission at Bard High School Early College Newark
Admission to BHSEC Newark
The Office of Admission at Bard High School Early College is committed to recruiting highly motivated young adults from all neighborhoods in Newark. It is our goal to provide our students with a challenging liberal arts curriculum that fosters and cultivates their intellectual curiosity and creativity. To ensure the individual success of students in our Early College program, we carefully consider the results of a math and writing assessment before interviewing eligible candidates for admission. We seek to admit those applicants who demonstrate maturity, intellectual curiosity, and a love of learning.
How to Apply
Our student consideration/acceptance process is dual . Student Applicants must complete both our internal application, as well as the Newark district’s One Newark Enrollment online application. As a magnet school, consideration or “student rankings” are based on a combination of results from the following:
- Writing Sample with provided prompt ( reviews student comprehension, self reflection and writing style)
- Math Assessment (assesses comprehension of mathematical concepts from 6-8th grade)
- In-person Interview (provides an introduction of the student in personality, interest level and presentation)
Assessments are typically held at Bard High School Early College however, may be arranged for large groups (15 students or more) at hosting schools.
The following is required of all students who apply to BHSEC
- A completed application form: 2017-2018-student-application-form
- A grade point average of 85% or above
- A score of ‘proficient’ or ‘advanced proficient’ on state assessment exams
- No more than 10 unexcused absences or 10 tardies for the previous school year
- Completion of the BHSEC math and writing assessment and in-person interview